Friday, September 23, 2011

Deja Vu All Over Again

Today, I had two practically identical phone conversations.

I was a little late getting the October computer class schedule out this month, simply because I've actually been pretty busy... mostly teaching the September classes! Anyway, I had several messages about the computer classes, and I finally got around to replying to them today.

The following conversation took place (twice, with completely different people):

Me: Hello, could I speak with Fred?

Patron: Who?

Me: Fred, Fred Smith.

Patron: What?

Me: This is Allison at the County Library. I have a message here from Fred. Is this the correct number?

Patron: Fred?

Me: Yes, could I speak with him, please?

Patron: He ain't here.

Me: So... is this the correct number?

Patron: What's he want?

Me: I have a message requesting I call him back (Aside: I can't actually tell the person exactly why I'm calling, unless it's Fred -- it's a privacy thing).

Patron: Well, I just said he ain't here.

Me: Well, could you give him the message?

Patron: Yeah

Me: Thank you. Goodbye.

Patron: [hangs up without saying goodbye]

Me: [pretends to strangle patron through the phone]


Sheesh! Hasn't the phone been around for over 100 years? Is it that hard to communicate? I'm considering never leaving my work phone again -- that way, no one will ever need to leave a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment